Saturday, January 19, 2013

FALEOMAVAEGA ELECTED AS RANKING MEMBER OF SUBCOMMITTEE ON ASIA AND THE PACIFIC


From: Williams, Lisa [mailto:Lisa.Williams@mail.house.gov]
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:46 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Faleomavaega elected as Ranking Member of Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific




Washington, D.C. --
FALEOMAVAEGA ELECTED AS RANKING MEMBER OF SUBCOMMITTEE ON ASIA AND THE PACIFIC

Congressman Faleomavaega announced today that on Tuesday January 15, 2013 he was unanimously elected as Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific. The Subcommittee now includes India and Pakistan and has oversight for U.S. foreign policy affecting more than 60% of the world’s population.

“I thank my colleagues for their support of my bid for Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific,” Faleomavaega said. “I look forward to working with my Republican counterpart, Chairman Steve Chabot, to address the complex issues facing this important region of the world, especially at a time when the Obama Administration has made clear that U.S. foreign, economic and security policy must ‘pivot’ toward Asia.”

“For years, I have called for greater U.S. engagement with Asia-Pacific countries, and I am hopeful that the U.S. is finally serious about advancing peace, stability and prosperity in this region of the world. I am especially pleased that South Asia has been moved back into the Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific where it rightfully belongs, and I also intend to shine a light on the needs of those living in this area.”

“As we begin the work of the 113th Congress, I welcome the members of our Subcommittee. I know they, too, are committed to strengthening cooperation with our Asia-Pacific partners. From maritime security to growing energy needs to poverty, food security, HIV/AIDS, climate change, terrorism, nuclear proliferation, defense engagements and more, we have much work to do. But I have full confidence that we can make a difference and so I thank the people of American Samoa for their support in also working to bring about peaceful solutions for the Asia-Pacific region,” Faleomavaega concluded.

 [Congratulations to the honorable delegate for the people of American Samoa at the House of Representatives, United States Congress. We wish him success in all his endeavors, not just for his new esteem role as Ranking Member on the Subcommittee but also as a long-standing leader from the Pacific region. FSMPIO] 

No comments:

Post a Comment